Degree Type:Master of Philosophy
Department:Department of Guidance and Counseling
2 years (Standard Entry)
Modes of Study:Regular
The MPhil programme is for a two-year period: the first year is for course work and second year for research and preparation of thesis and internship.During the research period each student will be expected to give a seminar(s). Also each student is required to complete a minimum of 600 supervised clock hours in doing their internship. Thesis must be submitted by date to be determined by the Department.
A first degree candidate seeking admission to MPhil. Guidance and Counselling programme must:
- Have obtained a good first degree (at least, a Second Class) in an appropriate field of study from a recognized academic institution.
- Submit an official transcript of academic record.
- Submit, at least, two reference reports, one of which must be from a former lecturer.
- Submit a pre-proposal of 2-3 pages on the intended area of study, including references.
- Satisfy any additional requirements prescribed by the Colleges/Faculties/Schools/Institutes/Departments. These may include relevant work experience, a written entrance examination and/ or an interview.
Goal / Aim / Objectives:
- To produce high calibre experts in Guidance and Counselling to lecture in tertiary institutions and contribute to the continuous and sustainable growth and development of the country.
- To provide students with the skills of research and critical thinking in understanding human behaviour and in meeting emerging challenges in the Ghanaian society.
- To impact students with appropriate expertise in the skills of counselling, developing and organising Guidance and Counselling programmes and centres for educational institutions.
- To develop in students the ability to extend Guidance and Counselling services to community and agency settings (hospitals, prisons, the armed forces, etc.).
The wide range of courses offered at the postgraduate levels equip graduates in Guidance and Counselling with professional knowledge and skills in Counselling to pursue career in diverse fields as Education, Civil/Public service, Health Services etc,